Friday, December 27, 2013

Baguette

One day my son wanted me to buy some baguette from the supermarket.  I was thinking why not I learn to bake it myself.  I never like this bread because it is too hard for me.  Since my son like this bread, I will try to bake it.

The next thing I do is to on my laptop to hunt for easiest recipe I can get.  I went through a few different recipes and finally I settled with a recipe that shown in u-tube with instructions.  No knead baguette.

The ingredients,

1/4 tsp. yeast,
1 1/2 cups water,
1 3/4 tsp. salt,
4 cups all purpose flour.

In a bowl, put in the yeast and water.  Mix well by using a wooden spoon.  Add in salt and lastly the flour.  Keep on stirring and mixing until the ingredients no longer stick to the side of the bowl and form a dough.





 cover the dough with plastic and then a kitchen tower.  Let rise for 9 to 10 hours or until  double in turn off oven.
 
 
 
I mixed the dough at 6.30am .  The dough rose to double at 3pm.
 
 
 
 
Remove the dough from the bowl onto floured surface.  It might be a bit sticky.  Have some flour on your hands before handling the dough.  Meanwhile  prepare the baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle some flour on it.



divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Roll and stretch out from the centre into shapes.


Put onto floured baking sheet and cover with another floured plastic for 1 to 11/2 hour or until double.

Preheat oven to 280 degree C, put a bowl of water on the lower rack to create steam while baking.
Use scissor to cut slits of 1/2 inches deep at 45 degree angle 2 inches apart on each loaf.  Spray water on the loaf and put into the heated oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Spray water for the first 5th and 10 minutes of baking.  Turn the baking sheet 180 degree at the 10th minjutes and continue baking for the next 10 minutes or until golden brown.


 
My first time bake baguette .  Very crispy on the crest and soft inside. M y son was very happy to see my success too.  He enjoyed the bread very much with home made garlic spread,



No comments:

Post a Comment