Sunday, December 22, 2013

Mini Apple Pie

I used to like apple pie and I will go and buy a slice from nearby cake shop.  I never bake any apple pie because I found that apple pie is usually quite a big portion for most of the recipes.  I was very delighted when my friend share with me a mini apple pie recipe.  This recipe can make only 8 to 10 mini apple pies.  I gathered all the necessary ingredients and I bake the apple pies this morning.

The ingredients that I need are,

For the dough,
1/2cup of butter (softened),
1/2 tsp. salt,
2 cups of all purpose flour,
1/4 cup ice water.
1 egg(beaten) combine with 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tbs. water, for brushing.

Fro the filling,
2 tbs. butter,
2 cups apple,
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar,
1/4 tsp. cinnamon,
1/2 tsp. lemon juice,
1/4 tsp. lemon zest,
2 tbs. raisins(optional)



Core and dice the apples, add in the lemon zest and pour the lemon juice over the dices apples.   Melt the butter in a sauce pan.  Add in cored and diced apple and cook until soften,  about 5 to 10 minutes.





Add brown sugar and the raisins.  Cook and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the juices from the apples begin to thicken,  about 5 to 10 minutes.


Remove apples from heat, add in cinnamon powder and stir well.  Set aside.

Now, prepare the dough.  Combine the flour, salt and butter in a mixing bowl.  Mix together until crumby.  Add in the ice water and mix until dough is formed.

 
Using rolling pin to roll out the dough.  Using pastry or cookie cutter to cut 10 round (4')
 
 
 
 
Place cut dough on the greased baking sheet.  Top half of each round with a tablespoon of filling.  Fold opposite side.
Cut a small slit on top of each pie to vent the steam.
Brush the top of each pie with the egg mixture.
Bake pies in preheated oven of 170 degree C for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
When cool, just loosen with a spatula and they just come right out.



Though the pies are not very pretty, but the taste is good.  I will try and bake this pie again.
 
 

 
 











No comments:

Post a Comment