Monday, May 26, 2014

Mango Muffin

Its mango season again.  We can see most of the fruit stalls are full of mangoes from local and many from Thailand.  We can even see there  are extra stalls or lorries and trucks selling mangoes from the back of the vehicles.  Because it is a very big season, mangoes are selling very cheap.  I will usually go for local mangoes rather mangoes from Thailand.  I was lucky this morning, manage to buy a  local species of mango.  The fruit selling told me in Cantonese(pak fa mong) but cant find out the name of it.   Very cheap, I got 4 kilo at only RM 10.00.


These are the mangoes that I bought from the market this morning.  Tasted, very sweet but with a little fibre.  Its ok for me and my family.  I have 12 fruit of mangoes weighting 4 kilo, its many.

I gave 2 fruits to my neighbour auntie.  Balance of 10 more fruits.  They can't keep long.  So I have to do something to finish up before they get spoiled.

I have bake cake using mangoes before.  Now I wanted to try baking muffin with mangoes.  Internet will do the job to look for a suitable recipe for me.  Going through many recipes, finally I settle down with a simple and easy muffin recipe that I want to share here.

The ingredients are,

2 cups of normal flour,
4 tsp of baking powder,
1/2 tsp of salt,
1 cup of sugar/3/4 cup of honey (I used 2/3 of sugar),
1/4 cup of vegetable oil,
1 cup of milk (I used 2/3 cup),
1 egg,
1 to 11/2 cup mango, pulp of ripen mangoes.

First peel and cut the mangoes.  Chop and reduce to soft pulp and juicy.  Set a side.


In a large bowl, sieve in the flour and the baking powder.  Add in salt and sugar and mix well.


 In a smaller bowl, lightly beat the egg, add in the milk and the oil.  Mix well.

Once the liquid are well m mixed.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Mix until both are just moist and stir in the mango pulp.



Use a large spoon to scoop the batter 3/4 full into the greased muffin tins or line with muffin papers.
Bake in preheated oven of 180 degrees C for 15 to 18 minutes or until when the tester is clear when pull out from testing.


I like the soft texture of the muffin, unfortunately I cant smell the mango from the  muffin.  It may be  due to the not so fragrant mango spices.  It would be better if you can get (kunning).  This is a very fragrant type of mango.  I bake my chiffon mango cake with this spices , really taste and smell good.  I hope I can buy this mango and try to bake mango muffin.

Anyway it taste great though.































No comments:

Post a Comment